As the weather turns colder it's not uncommon to see the use of space heaters in the workplace. This may leave business owners asking the question: "Is the use of space heaters safe in the workplace?"
When space heaters are used correctly, they can help to provide a more comfortable working environment. If used incorrectly, they can cause fire, electric shock, or even harmful carbon monoxide gas.
image courtesy of Travelers Insurance
If you are an employer, you will want to provide guidelines to your employees for safe space heater use. Some possible guidelines for electric space heaters are:
- A manager or supervisor should approve the use of a space heater prior to use
- Units should be labeled by UL (Underwriters Laboratories) or similar nationally recognized testing lab.
- Keep 3 feet of clearance around each space heater
- No flammable liquids or easily combustible material nearby.
- Make sure there is no tripping hazard from the unit or the cord.
- Never use an extension cord with a space heater.
- Never use a space heater with frayed or damaged cords.
- Do not leave a space heater unattended, and, unplug them at the end of the day.
These are some guidelines for electric space heaters. If you allow the use of fuel-fired space heaters, you may want to check out the full article here from our trusted business insurance partner, The Travelers.
Elliot Whittier Insurance is proud to represent The Travelers, and many other fine business insurance carriers. Massachusetts business insurance is what we do! If you are looking for options for insurance for your business, you may contact us by calling 857-816-4935 or, 24/7 at the link below.
With offices in Danvers & Winthrop Massachusetts, Elliot Whittier Insurance has been awarded the Five Star Award of Distinction from the Massachusetts Association of Insurance Agents. Elliot Whittier Insurance is also a Trusted Choice® Agency and represents multiple insurance companies, so it offers you a variety of personal and business coverage choices and can customize an insurance plan to meet your specialized needs. You can visit Elliot Whittier Insurance online at www.elliotwhittier.com or email email@example.com or call 800-696-3947