Picture this. You’ve been in a car accident, and your car is in the shop.
How do you get to work, how do you get the kids to activities, and how do you do your food shopping? Can you rent a car while your car is being repaired, and can your rental cost be reimbursed by your car insurance company? Many people think the automatic answer is “yes”, but in fact the answer depends on several scenarios.
- You must purchase Part 10 “Substitute Transportation” on the MA auto policy. It’s not automatically included in a standard car insurance policy. Coverage is not expensive, and can save you hundreds of dollars and major inconvenience.
- The rental must be needed as a result of a covered physical damage claim, so you must have Collision and/or Comprehensive coverage in place.
- Pay attention to the limits you choose. $30/900 means you are covered for $30 per day, up to $900 per accident, but no longer than the amount of time it will take to fix the car.
- Alternative Transportation - if you prefer to utilize public transportation, those expenditures can be reimbursed at the same conditions and limits.
What’s not covered?
- Additional insurance
- Expenses after your car has been repaired or found
- Costs exceeding the actual cash value of your car
It should also be noted that rental reimbursement applies only to auto accidents, theft, and other perils that fall under comprehensive and collision. Substitute transportation coverage does not apply if your car is in for otherwise mechanical repairs or maintenance.
Not every policy condition is mentioned here, we recommend you contact us or consult your policy for any questions. If you have any questions about whether or not your car has Substitute Transportation coverage, just give us a quick call at 617-846-5000 and we’ll check for you. It is quick and easy to add it on!
Elliot Whittier Insurance Services, LLC is a local Trusted Choice® agency that represents multiple insurance companies, so it offers you a variety of personal and business coverage choices and can customize an insurance plan to meet your specialized needs. You can visit Elliot Whittier online at www.ElliotWhittier.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 617-846-5000 and ask for Chris Millerick.