Do I Have Coverage If - Homeowners

Home Insurance - Am I Covered?  We get a fair number of real and hypothetical questions about home insurance claims.  Below are some frequently asked questions that are general in nature and answers do not apply in all situations.  Thanks to our friends at Narragansett Bay Insurance


What is covered on my home insurance?  Some FAQs from our friends at Narragansett Bay Insurance Co.

Q:  Do I have coverage if a pipe burst?

A:  Yes.  Narragansett Bay's standard home, condominium, or renters policies cover damage to your home and personal property for accidental discharge of water from a plumbing system.  In many cases, coverage may not apply to the damaged pipes and plumbing equipment if they burst due to wear and tear, corrosion, or other maintenance related causes.

Q:  Do I have coverage if water seeped into my basement from the ground?

A:  No.  The standard homeowner, condominium and renter policies cover "sudden and accidental losses" and do not provide coverage for losses that arise from maintenance issues.  We suggest you contact a contractor about water proofing your basement.  However, we do offer an endorsement for additional premium that provides coverage for up to $5000 for damage caused by water which overflows from a sump pump.  

Q:  Do I have coverage if a tree fell and damaged my roof?

A:  Yes, Narragansett Bay covers damages to your property along with the costs of removing the tree to facility repairs.

Q:  Is my property covered against natural disasters like hurricanes and tornados?  

A:  Yes, Narragansett Bay covers your property against natural disasters.  The exceptions are earthquakes and floods, both of which are not covered in the standard homeowner, condominium and renters policies.  You may purchase earthquake coverage as part of the homeowner, condominium or renter policy, and you can purchase a separate flood policy from the National Flood Insurance Program.  Please contact us to discuss flood and earthquake coverage.

Q:  What should I do if my home is damaged by water?

A:  Turn off the water either at the site or at the main shut off.

Call Narragansett Bay 800-343-3375 (option 2,1) as soon as possible.  We will assist in mitigating further damage.  In the interim you can:

  • Remove as much of the water as you can by mopping, blotting or using a wet/dry vacuum.
  • Wipe down any wood furniture that is wet.
  • Remove furniture from wet areas, if possible.
  • Remove all items such as rugs and furnishings from the wet areas.
  • Open cabinet doors and drawers to reduce drying time.


Q:  Are my house and personal property covered for vandalism?

A:  Yes, you have coverage for damage to your house and personal property up to your policy limits provided your house has not been vacant for more than 60 consecutive days immediately before the damage.

Q:  Do I have coverage if I lose a piece of jewelry?

A:  The standard homeowner, condominium, and renter policies do not recover your personal property for losses due to "mysterious disappearance."  You may purchase this coverage by "scheduling" your valuable items with us.  Please contact us to discuss scheduling your valuables.  



What to do Next?

Have us review your insurance policies and check that your limits are sufficient. Ask what the cost is to bump it up under higher limit scenarios.

Call today 617-846-5000 or click here 24/7/365 and we will get back to you same day or the next business day