Hurricane Season and Your Home Insurance

Officially beginning June 1st and ending November 30th, the Atlantic hurricane season is here.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), hurricanes can produce strong winds, storm surge, flooding, and heavy rainfall that can lead to inland flooding.  

What kind of hurricane season can we expect in 2022?

Living in Massachusetts, we are not strangers to hurricanes and other strong windstorm events.  Each year, forecasters at Climate Prediction Center at NOAA provide their predictions for what they believe we can expect for the upcoming hurricane season.  For the 2022 season, NOAA is predicting above-average hurricane activity, which would make it the seventh consecutive above-average hurricane season.  Specifically the prediction is for a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.  

NOAA 2022 hurricane

Image courtesy of NOAA

Hurricanes and home insurance

The time to review your home insurance is before your home is damaged from a storm.  A standard homeowner's insurance policy will respond to damage from a hurricane, subject to the limits and deductibles on the policy you choose.   Here's some of the things you can check right now:

1.  Check your limits (in particular Coverage A) to make sure there is enough to cover rebuilding or fixing an extensively damaged home.    In 2022 we have found ourselves in a situation where the cost and availability of materials as well as labor is high, so this is extremely important.  

2.  Understand your windstorm / hurricane deductible.   This coverage and terms of the coverage varies quite a bit from policy to policy.  A hurricane deductible is applied only to hurricanes.  A windstorm deductible applies to other types of wind.   If your policy has a hurricane deductible, it will state the conditions under which that deductible would apply.  It is also extremely important to know that if you have, for example, a 5% deductible on a house that's insured for $500,000, then you have a  $25,000  deductible.  

3.  Flooding.  Most home insurance policies do not cover for damage due to floods, and you will need a separate flood insurance policy.   According to the Insurance Information Institute (iii.org), 90% of all natural disasters and especially hurricanes, include some type of flooding.   In addition, the National Flood Insurance Program has a 30-day waiting period before flood insurance can take effect.

Early preparation and understanding your risk is key to being hurricane resilient and climate-ready,” said Secretary of Commerce Gina M. Raimondo. “Throughout the hurricane season, NOAA experts will work around-the-clock to provide early and accurate forecasts and warnings that communities in the path of storms can depend on to stay informed.”  If you are interested in getting weather alerts, or other preparedness information, you can check out Ready.gov

Contact us today for a full review of your home insurance policy.  

 

What to do Next?

Have us review your insurance policies and check that your limits are sufficient. Ask what the cost is to bump it up under higher limit scenarios.

Call today 617-846-5000 or click here 24/7/365 and we will get back to you same day or the next business day